Thursday 6 August 2009

Selfish Wishes

The wishes I found were drowned with the fishes,
they flowed away on your river’s tide.
My boat arrived, you went aboard,
you took your horde and dissed my pride.
My efforts were goaded, floating through my fingers,
lingering on chances, wished and missed.

I had looked and thought in vain
the weather’s direction pointed to rain,
I could only think of you, wanted and admired,
the launching of a cruiser while I
was the envious downstream schooner.

Up on deck you clicked your heels
under the shine of a moon’s conceal.
You were chuffed up, a glowing northern star
I was alone rebuffed in a bar.

My boat glided past you in the dark blue sky
hoping for something better and blithe.
Your sails billowed, but I
was let loose on the wisp of the willow,
those wishes grounded scattered by the fishes.

My sorrows drowned I looked to the horizon,
a ship of dreaming fools sailed towards
vistas of elusive gem pools, wishing for their
missing in lonely places bleak and cruel.

A wind of change blew my schooner round
and at my table a friendly crew was found.
A wish isn’t selfish if the wishers heed together
for the wishes of desire are unentangled and freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment